Aftercare: Tips to support your Chiropractic Care Program
Your Doctor will advise you on how best to look after yourself between treatments. As a rule, for 24hrs following any adjustment you should:
- Drink plenty of water & avoid alcohol and caffeine - this helps to keep you hydrated and flush toxins from your body
- Avoid strenuous exercise - where possible it is important to keep active but avoid lifting and carrying heavy objects.
- Avoid hot baths - this will allow your body a chance to 'hold' the adjustments your Doctor has made. Warm showers are fine.
Your Doctor may also advise on other aspects which can help promote your recovery:
- Ice - Your Doctor may advise you to use an Icepack on your problem area during acute inflammatory stages. It is important that this advise is followed, usually icing 4 times per day for 10 mins at a time. Application of Biofreeze between icing may also be suggested.
- Stretching - Your Doctor may give you certain stretches to complete in order to help promote the release of tight muscles - such stretches are best performed when warm and prior to icing.
- Exercises - While initially stretching out tight muscles may be of primary importance as Chiropractic Care continues it is important to then strengthen weakened muscles in order to stablise specific areas of your spine. Your Doctor will advise when you should begin such exercises as part of your Chiropractic Care Program.